Sunday, January 15, 2012

Is Yoga Danergous

Is Yoga Dangerous?

The New York Times magazine recently published an article citing medical studies and specific events suggesting yoga isn't as safe as we might think. This is of particular interest to me, not only because I am a beginner at yoga, but also because I pulled my hamstring last week while practicing hot yoga. In one case a yogi held a pose so long he had temporary nerve damage. In the other case a woman suffered a stroke while holding wheel pose. It is true that serious yoga practice may result in serious injuries such as nerve damage and stroke, but it is rare.This might sound frightening at a glance, but there are extenuating circumstances that must be explored before coming to any conclusions! In addition to that, there are countless injuries sustained in various exercise forms. There are many tragic cases of high school football players that drop dead during practice. Torn muscles and ligaments are all too common in skiing, basketball, track etc. Everything in life carries a risk, including sitting on the couch watching television. The choice is ours which risk is worth taking.

It is important to keep your own body and abilities in mind when practicing yoga...especially hot yoga. I make sure to learn new poses under the supervision of an instructor to ensure proper alignment. Even when practicing under watchful supervision we are responsible for listening to our bodies. I pushed myself too far and was not considering the 105 degree temperature in the class room. When practicing from now on I will be much more aware of my own limits, body and temperature.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/08/magazine/how-yoga-can-wreck-your-body.html?pagewanted=all

No comments:

Post a Comment